Our team has learned, over many years, the risks and costs of litigation and the benefits of mediation and other non-adversarial forms of resolving disputes. The desire to promote non-litigious forms of dispute resolution, and to promote agreement making, was a core focus in the establishment of Castledine Gregory.
Our firm includes trained and accredited mediators and brings these skills to bear in all aspects of the work we do for our clients.
Our mediation and negotiation experience includes the following specialist areas:
- native title and other Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander legal issues
- planning and development, and environmental approval processes
- Local Government
- church and religious organisations
- building and construction
- property and tenancy disputes
- mining, energy and resources
- land and water access and management
- commercial agreements
- corporate disputes.
Our approach to mediation and negotiation is based on the Harvard technique of interest-based negotiation, which seeks to find ways of identifying and advancing the underlying interests of each party, rather than getting locked into the traditional positional bargaining pattern of negotiation.
While we consider litigation a last resort, we also have substantial experience in various State and Federal Courts and Tribunals.
Examples of our work
- Mediating internal conflict issues for native title claim group
- Providing mediation services for Councillors and staff of major metropolitan and regional local governments
- Providing mediation and facilitation services for professional standards matters within a religious context
- Providing mediation services for neighbourhood issues within the City of Fremantle
- Mediating a regional commercial conflict between several local government organisations (read more on our Local Government page)
- Mediating a construction dispute between parties relating to shopping centre development (read more on our Resources, Energy and Infrastructure page)
- Mediating a commercial dispute relating to sale of accounting business
- Mediating a workplace dispute between senior staff of a resources company
- Negotiating native title and heritage agreements for Aboriginal corporations, native title groups, construction, resources and energy companies (read more on our Native Title and Aboriginal Heritage page)
- Negotiating and advising on a variety of commercial and operational agreements for Aboriginal corporations, native title groups, construction and drafting, resources and energy companies and
- Negotiating various deeds of settlement in connection with dispute resolution
- Advising on dispute between members and an Aboriginal corporation (read more on our Corporate, Commercial and Governance page)
- Advising on dispute between beneficiaries and a trustee corporation
- Advising on dispute between a funding body and a trustee corporations
- Advising on environmental dispute between landowner and local government concerning aircraft noise (read more on our Planning and Environment page)
- Acting for parties in a range of litigated forums in State and Federal Courts and Tribunals.